What I’m about…
True North Bricks is all about creativity and LEGO, from a Canadian perspective. LEGO is awesome, but can be an expensive hobby, and I want to help you make informed decisions about your purchases. You know, help you get the most entertainment for your hard earned loonies! So, here’s what I do:
- Look out for LEGO deals and sales in Canada, and Tweet them to you and post them on my LEGO Deals in Canada page as soon as I find them. Be sure to follow me on Twitter to stay in the loop! We all want more bricks for less, right?
- Review sets to give you another opinion. I have a rating system and give every set I review a grade.
- Share my obsession through LEGO photography. I update my Instagram feed regularly, so sign up to bring a little LEGO into your life. I would also love to see your work!
- Promote relaxation through building and art! In addition to photography, I will also post about by LEGO projects here and on Pinterest to help inspire you. I also collect pictures of other peoples’ projects on Pinterest for that reason. Let me know about your builds!
- Post colouring pages, for FREE! I like to draw, and colour. So, every time I make a LEGO related drawing, I post it here for you to download and colour. Colouring is a great way to unwind.
- Talk about life and experiences, with a LEGO twist.
Who am I?
“Finnadian” is how I identify myself, Finnish and Canadian…Finnadian. While I consider Canada my home, and I have Canadian citizenship, I have also retained my Finnish citizenship and have been told by many that I am a stereotypical Finn. You might be asking yourself, “what is a stereotypical Finn?” Well, you can hop on over to the Official Travel Guide of Finland if you want the extended answer. But, to make a long story short, I am fairly introverted, reserved in public situations, and I really don’t find small talk very useful. Silence is golden, not awkward. When I do talk, I select my wording carefully to convey exactly what I mean. But, most importantly, I love a good sauna.
I love to travel, and see nature. My biggest adventure was spending a year in South Africa doing research on wild lions. I have also faced down a bear while studying frogs in British-Columbia. I have jumped off of a 20 foot waterfall in the pitch-black of a cave in Belize. I trekked through the rainforest and took a volcanic mud bath in Costa Rica. I stood on the Arctic Circle in Finland. I have also adventured through Sweden, Japan, the United States (including Alaska), and Mexico!
Adult Fan of LEGO…
When I was young, I loved LEGO. I’ve had lots of random bricks for as long as I can remember, but the first actual set I recall getting was Black Falcon’s Fortress (6074), which was released in 1986. I still have it. Now, I consider myself an “Adult Fan of LEGO“, or AFOL, and use LEGO as a way to de-stress. I share my LEGO obsession with anyone who will listen (just ask my family and co-workers). This blog is me taking that to the next level, trying to reach a bigger audience, and find like-minded people who also love LEGO.
Health and exercise are important! I spend a lot of time in the gym, and that has become a little escape for me. It doesn’t make me feel guilty about all the things I should be doing instead (which is often how I feel when I build LEGO, sadly). If you don’t take care of yourself, no one else will. So, I don’t feel bad putting that never ending pile of work and chores aside for an hour in the gym.
I like to be creative, but have no formal training as an artist. I draw a lot. Lately, most of my drawings have been done digitally. But, I do also like other media like conté, ink-washes, and just plain colouring (hence the colouring pages section here). I am also starting to enjoy LEGO photography (check me out on Instagram).
Geek and Proud…
I love comic books, super heroes, and action figures. Especially DC Comics. I am building a LEGO city largely because it allows me to incorporate super heroes, whereas castles and pirates (which were my favorites growing up) or Star Wars do not. My artistic side and my inner comic book geek come together through another hobby of mine: scrapbooking celebrity autographs that I collect at comic book conventions.
So, all that to say I am an adventure loving, Finnish-born Canadian who dabbles in LEGO, fitness, comic books, and art! I hope you are not bored to tears and have enjoyed getting to know me a little. Drop me a line, let me know about you or your blog/website/Instagram/etc, I’d like to get to know you too! Meeting people is part of the reason for this blog after all. Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube. I look forward to “meeting” you!
Until next time,