An Amateur’s Guide to Underwater LEGO Photography (Part 2)

Yesterday, I went back to work after a nice long summer off. I also posted a picture of Ursula the Sea Witch as my #WordlessWednesday entry for the week. I thought it was a fitting choice because it was a photo I have been holding onto since my vacation at the cottage. I think it turned out really nicely. It was actually part of a series of photos that I took underwater. You might recall that I already wrote an article about underwater photography earlier this month using Aquaman (click here to read it). Today, I thought I would once again broach the topic, but this time in relation to my post from yesterday.

IMGP0767WEB

My Ursula picture from yesterday.

The picture that I posted yesterday (see above) was may favorite from the series. As with my first attempt at underwater photography, these pictures were taken with my really old Pentax WPi waterproof camera. I took these photos in really shallow water. In most cases, it was just enough water to cover Ursula. If you recall, I mentioned that I had trouble aiming the camera underwater with my Aquaman shots a few weeks ago. The screen is very hard to see underwater. I found that in shallow water, that became a little easier.

IMGP0721WEB

These pictures were taken in really shallow water so that the camera was easier to use.

The smoky effect in some of the pictures is actually natural and not Photoshop. When I was taking the Aquaman pictures, I had trouble with the silt on lake bottom. Any movement caused the silt to become suspended, clouding the shots. But, afterwards I found that it settled back down to the bottom in an interesting manner. The current in the lake would sweep most of the silt away within a few minutes. But, if you made a depression, say a foot print, the depression would remain cloudy for some time even after the water above it had cleared. I was carefully able to swirl that cloud with my finger to create really interesting effects around Ursula.

IMGP0755WEB

The smoke around Ursula is actually a natural effect produced by stirring up silt and letting it partially settle.

 

The final photos were edited in Photoshop to bring out the colours. I also turned the lake water blue to give it a more deep ocean look. Finally,  I brought out the colour in Ursula’s face a little more.

UrsulaOriginalEditWEB

The original, unedited photo from the lake is on the left. I bought out the colours a little more and increased the amount of blue using Photoshop.

 

As always, I welcome your comments and stories about your own experiences with the topic! Until next time,

-T.N.B.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s